Compression stockings are designed to reduce swelling and prevent discomfort. In this guide, we’ll discuss how to choose the right compression stockings and offer some tips to get the best results.
How to choose compression stockings
There is a diverse range of compression stockings available. Compression socks can be beneficial for people with a broad spectrum of underlying health issues, those with a history of blood clots and people who may be at higher risk of swelling, for example, pregnant women and travellers visiting far-flung destinations. If you are searching for compression stockings, here are some factors to consider when choosing compression socks:
- The reason you need compression stockings: there are several reasons why people may be advised to wear compression stockings or socks. Some people may need more support than others. If you are at risk of deep vein thrombosis, or you have a history of blood clotting disorders, for example, you will need a firmer stocking than a runner who is looking to improve blood flow in their legs. Seek advice if you are unsure which compression stockings would be best for you.
- Size: it’s essential to ensure that your compression stockings are the right size to achieve optimum results. Stockings come in an array of sizes.
- Fit: the fit of the compression stockings is crucial to improve blood flow, reduce the risk of inflammation and swelling and provide the required level of support.
- Design: some people have a preference in terms of the color or pattern of their compression stockings. You can choose from something understated and subtle, or inject a bit of color into your wardrobe.
- Budget: the cost of compression stockings varies. If you have a budget, you can filter results to find affordable options. Many Insurance companies cover a portion of the cost of Medical Gradient Compression with a valid prescription.
- There are two categories of compression stockings
- Over the Counter. Less than 20mmHg. Does not require a prescription.
- Medical Grade. 20+mmHg. Requires a prescription. Only available at authorized dealers and should be fitted by a Certified Compression Fitter.
Tips for using compression stockings
Compression stockings are beneficial in the following circumstances:
- Embolism prevention
- Long-haul travel
- Chronic venous disease
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Long-distance running and other active pursuits
- Post-surgery recovery
To get the best results from your compression stockings, here are some tips for use:
- Make sure you have the right size compression stockings: your stockings should lie flat and they should not be bunched or rolled over at the top. If the socks are bunched, they need to be tighter. If they are rolled up or folded at the top, they are too long.
- Follow instructions from your doctor or physical therapist: your doctor or physical therapist will be able to advise you when to wear your compression stockings and how long to leave them on. If you have been advised to wear compression stockings after an injury or a procedure, it’s important to follow instructions to help your recovery and reduce the risk of swelling and pain.
- Seek advice if your compression stockings feel too loose or tight: getting the right fit is essential for the best results. Sometimes, it’s a matter of trial and error to find the perfect fit. Seek expert advice if your stockings feel too loose or tight.
Compression stockings help to reduce swelling, promote comfort and lower the risk of clotting. If you’re looking for compression stockings, it’s hugely beneficial to make sure that you buy the right size, check the fit and follow instructions for use.
Dislaimer: This website does not provide medical advice. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never delay in seeking it because of something you may have read on this website.